Sunday 3 October 2010

Vicksburg quilt

At my creative messy best ...
It is so good to be back in my space - not to escape but to add all the experiences and richness of the past weeks to the "vibe" that is already there. Chris has often admired the colours of the civil war fabrics - and I felt duty bound to honour that in Paducah with the purchase of quite a range of fabrics ... in the civil war colours of course. Plus a few extras for good measure ... just in case ... and all that.

I've converted a pattern I purchased (Vicksburg - which is a 9 patch comprised of 8 pieced blockettes and 1 central square)  to supersize (also a tribute to the US trip I guess) and have managed to piece 6 blocks of 36 so far. I'm averaging 3 each day - in between other things like birthday parties.
Vicksberg block ..aka pieced nine-patch

My studio space is one of the bedrooms in our old Queenslander. Graham, one of our friends and the "builder" who has almost lived here over the past 3-4 years renovating and building "stuff" once made a beautiful solid timber table - that has never fitted into any of the 5 homes he's built for himself and Shirley. Some time ago it arrived at our place and has pride of place in the studio.  I can have two different sets of cutting and work space either side of my machine - and if there's ever a storm that takes out the house, I think the table will still be intact ...  it is a beautiful gift and will be treasured for as long as I can put thread to needle ... 
From my window ...

It has been overcast and grey for days .. and it's wonderful. Imagine October and having to light the fire last evening to take the chill out of the house? I am most appreciative of the reprieve. We had a break in the gloom yesterday and Murray's paddock lit up, if only for a few moments. Today is meant to be fine - and we have the family get-together for lunch for ... another bit of birthday fun. Sometime later this evening, I'm hoping to be in Margaritaville ....

1 comment:

Kate said...

Great post - I always love to see other people's creative spacea - although of COURSE most of that space is inside oneself - still the outward reflects the inward. BTW TOTALLY do not agree about the weather - I am MISERABLE - bring on the heat and humidity is my cry....:-)