Tuesday 18 January 2011

Storms and promise .. on Martin Luther King Day

About 65kms or 40 miles up the road where the rainbow points is Ipswich where I had left about 50 minutes earlier. I did wonder at the cheek of the rainbow - after driving home near blind through lightning flashes and wild windy rain to the last of the shredded sunlight. Then my favourite tree lit up - a Moreton Bay Ash that towers above all else with bark that turns purple and rust and blue just before Christmas. It sheds in enormous strips into the garden bed. Mulch. Each year the trunk and branches are left creamy white and smoothly pristine. Caught in the last burst of sun for the afternoon while the storm rumbled on to the north east. And I thought ... all this promise and hope and quiet reflection. I hope you feel it too. It is Martin Luther King Day and it is good.

3 comments:

Sue Dennis said...

It is very good indeed! I have been watching 'Pride & Prejudice', can you tell?

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

I can see why this tree is your favourite. With your eye you have caught in a most magnificent light indeed ... :o)

Francie said...

These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! The riot of shades of green is amazing. What a beautiful area you live in...