Sunday 15 June 2014

Sunday morning collection

We went to collect firewood and harvest lichen this morning - a rare early morning when the setting moon hung over Mount Castle and the Main Range to the west and the sun simultaneously rose over the Teviot Range. What a delight to find the moss in flower! A charred log covered in electric green moss and the beginnings of one of my favourite lichen. While I can barely tell the difference between an Austroparmelina and a Xanthoparmelia, I am so looking forward to testing them as they convert to dyes over the coming weeks.



3 comments:

Margaret said...

I have one tree that has wonderful moss/lichen on part of its trunk, but I have never tried to harvest it. How do you go about it? I don't want to harm the tree...Thanks!

Judy said...

Exquisite

Chyfey said...

Keep us posted on how your dye making goes