Saturday 20 April 2013

Inspired by Rachel Carson


 
I had the privilege of visiting the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge on the coast of Maine last year. It was the 50th anniversary of the publication of "The Silent Spring". The sounds of the Atlantic ocean crashing onto the muddy marshland, the smell of pine underfoot and wandering through soft, dappled light are memories that will be with me forever. Friends, Tom and Susan from New Hampshire shared this wonderful place and helped out while I took a rubbing of a memorial plaque. The refuge covers approximately 50 miles of the Maine coastline. The vegetation, wetlands and forest are unique, especially for an Australian visitor.  As the transition from rubbing to quilt begins, I am playing with different fabrics, each printed with foliage from many places of refuge I've visited - and I hope to do the memory of this wonderful place justice. 


No comments: